Sunday, October 31, 2010

Braised lamb shoulder

We got a deboned Icelandic lamb shoulder at Whole Foods, already neatly trussed up.  I decided to braise it with a bunch of vegetables following the instructions in "Art of Simple Food."


  1. I took a small glass baking dish and covered the bottom with chunks of onion, celery, sweet potato, and orange and white carrots.
  2. I rubbed the lamb shoulder all over with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.  If I'd thought of it, I would have done this step last night!
  3. I put the lamb on top of the vegetables with the fat side up, and added enough chicken broth to come about a third of the way up the lamb.
  4. This cooked in a 375 degree oven for an hour, then I flipped the lamb over.  I cooked it another half hour, flipped it again, and cooked it one more half hour.  At this point, the lamb was tender when poked with a fork and the vegetables were mushy and delicious.
This made an awesome lamby vegetable stew that we floated slices of the shoulder on.

No comments:

Post a Comment